Cheap & healthy: Black Bean & Mushroom Tacos
Since lockdown I've been eating A LOT of tinned food, and black beans have become a consistent favourite. They're cheap, convenient, nutrient dense, low calorie and delicious!
Black beans are rich in zinc, folate, magnesium and iron, as well as a great source of protein and fibre. They also have the ability to prevent spikes in blood glucose and keep you fuller for longer.
All beans have these benefits, but darker beans contain more polyphenols - these are plant compounds which can promote healthy digestion, heart and brain function.
Black Bean and Mushroom Tacos recipe
Time: 20 minutes
2x 400g tins of black beans
A punnet of mushrooms - sliced
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp Mexican spice (or paprika & cumin)
1 chopped onion (or frozen pre-chopped onions for ease)
1 crushed clove of garlic
8 corn or wholemeal soft tacos
1 lime cut into wedges
1. Fry the onion for 3 minutes on medium-high heat until softened.
2. Add the garlic, tomato puree and spices and stir for another minute.
3. Add the mushrooms and stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
4. Drain and rinse the beans and add to the mixture.
5. Stir everything together then leave to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
6. While simmering, prepare the toppings - chop the lettuce, cut the lime into wedges and heat the tacos in the oven for 1 minute.
7. To serve, add a couple of spoons of the bean mixture to your taco, top with a handful of lettuce, a dollop of chipotle mayo and a squeeze of lime.
For personalised nutritional support, please get in touch to book a complimentary call to explore how nutritional therapy can help you.